Make a New Year’s Resolution
Make a promise to yourself, what do you want to achieve for next year? It’s time to start thinking about your New Year’s Resolutions. Yes, and me too!
Hola amigos, welcome to English Made Simple, this is episode #63, numero sesenta y tres!
Yo wassup? My name is Milena from englishmadesimple.net – how’s it going? Did you miss me?
Welcome back to today’s short and sweet episode, numero sesenta y tres! Wow! I am just going to keep saying Wooow after each episode hahah because I can.
Well, today’s episode is no secret. I have already mentioned today’s topic in the last episode, number #62. Today, we are going to learn about New Year’s Resolutions. First of all, why do we say resolution? What does it mean? It’s such a big word. What does it mean, Milena?
Well, the word itself, Resolution means, according to online dictionary Weon Inteligente: a firm decision to do or not to do something, some synonyms would be; intention, aim, a plan, or a goal. To have a goal that you plan to achieve, that’s what it means at the end of the day.
Yup, now it makes sense. A goal, meta in Spanish.
To make a NY’s Resolution means to make a promise to yourself that you will either stop doing something bad or start doing something new, something good.
The equivalent in Spanish would be “deseos para el proximo año”
I will give you examples of some New Year’s Resolutions very soon, and what they are exactly. I will give you examples of some typical Resolutions people would make.
So, when midnight strikes on the 1st January 2017, make a promise to yourself that you will either stop a bad habit or start a new good habit.
I will share with you some typical New Year’s Resolutions that I hear my friends make, I also make the same resolutions and then I break them. I am just too weak, what can I say. I am not strong enough to keep my own promises.
It is common to break your New Year’s Resolution. This just means that you will break a promise that you made to yourself.
Just how disciplined and confident will you be with your new goal? Well it’s all up to you! You have to keep yourself accountable to achieve your goal.
I want to start off early with New Year’s Resolutions, just to start thinking about them, I will give you some ideas and you can pick one from the list I will share with you soon or you can come up with your own one on the 1st of January 2017.
And then in a couple of weeks, I will remind you about this, I will remind you about your New Year’s Resolution ok?. I will be that annoying person that nags you, oh Milenita, you said you will start exercising in 2017 and what happened? Que paso? Why did you stop? Well, because I am lazy, simple, soy floja. Now back off.
Here are the top 10 New Year’s resolutions that most people would make, and you can select one of these if you wish, or you can make your own!
1. Start a 90 day challenge – have a challenge to achieve something in 90 days or 3 months
2. Lose weight (perder peso)
3. Start eating more healthy
4. Stop smoking or Quit smoking
5. Quit drinking, oh my goodness, all the fun things!
6. Stop drinking coffee, what? I can’t stop drinking coffee, anyway, these are some common New Year’s resolutions that people make, they are not necessarily my NY resolutions.
7. Stop swearing, decir malas palabras.
8. Learn a new language, that’s cool!
9. Travel more, explore new cities. Explore new suburbs in your city, for example. Just go out there, travel more.
10. Find a girlfriend or a boyfriend.
11. Save Money, I think I am going over 10 now. I stopped counting. The next one.
12. Spend more time with family. The next one would be:
13. Listen to English Made Simple
14. Improve your English (practise more writing, speaking, listening or reading)
15. Stop eating chocolate for 3 months – Uhm, this will be hard.
16. Stop eating Nutella and drinking wine for a month. Uhm…that’s not going to happen. I am not going to keep that promise. No way jose! Oh that’s just an English saying, No way! No way Jose!
Well, this is more than 10 resolutions but you get my drift right? You understand the idea of it. You can choose your own New Year’s Resolution, there must be something that you really, really want to achieve by end of 2017. By end of next year.
Once you decide on your New Year’s resolution, then you must have an action plan to achieve your goal. Have a plan with simple actionable tasks, step by step, poco a poco.
I am still thinking about my New Year’s resolution, I have many actually but I want to narrow it down to just 3. And maybe I will share it with you, maybe not….I don’t know.
I wish you a good luck with your Resolutions and remember amigos I will remind you about your NY’s resolution in a couple of weeks. Let’s finish with an English saying that goes like this: Never make promises that you aren’t sure you can keep. Never make promises that you are not sure that you can keep.
That’s it for now muchachos y muchachas! Until next time, hasta la proxima!