IELTS Survivor #3 – Chat With William from Colombia
Today we chat to William, another IELTS survivor and a long time listener of the show. William completed Academic IELTS exam to help him study English in Australia. Tune in as William shares his best tips on IELTS, Australia and life in general! Enjoy :)
[184 GUEST] IELTS Suvivor #2 – Chat with Carlos About IELTS and Australia
 How To Describe a Person, A Phone or An Experience (Good For IELTS)
[182 GUEST] Chatting with Eduardo about Australia and Surviving IELTS
This episode has been brought to you by the FREE Guide To Life In Australia
Are you struggling with IELTS? I can help you improve your IELTS score.
Click here to learn more.
Today we chat with William from Colombia. William has been a long time listener of the English Made Simple show and when he heard about my IELTS Survivor project he reached out to me to share his experience with IELTS. I also quiz him on PTE (Another English exam that you can take to help you migrate to Australia. This is a computer based exam)
This episode goes on for longer than the normal length of the show… and that’s because William really wanted to impart all of his knowledge onto us. He wanted to share a lot about IELTS and his life in Australia where he met his beautiful wife (who, coincidentally is also from Colombia :))
Here is a snapshot of our chat together:
- William has only been in Australia for 2 and a half years. Before he left for Australia, he didn’t speak any English. William tells us that he had a long journey to Australia, he also had to go through the US Atlanta to catch the next flight to Melbourne. In his broken English, he spoke with a native speaker for the first time at the airport. He remembers he couldn’t understand the other person. So what he did was take a pen and paper and write his questions down!
- William completed the Academic IELTS as he was studying in Melbourne. He travelled from Colombia to study English. Most of his peers from Colombia would tend to travel to the US or the UK to learn English, but he came to Australia instead. He loves it here. He has a stable job as a Cleaning Supervisor at a Hotel. He even met his wife here and now they live in Australia together. Soon to go to Tasmania to take up another degree.
- He had an immigration agent to help him come to Australia. The agent advised him on the best visa to take and go through the Endeavour scholarship program
- William learnt English by taking a course called General English at an Institute in Melbourne, formerly known as Fusion. Then he went to do another English course at Explore Institute.
- He got the required score in IELTS on his first attempt! I think all the months of learning English really helped. Plus he really likes a challenge so he put all his effort into IELTS and was committed to practice for it!
- William shares Tips on IELTS: you can prepare by watching Ted Talks, Netflix, or through music. The last tip that William shares is something new to me, video games! You can practice English by participating in video games that are streamlined live across the world, so you get to speak with people from different countries… in English!
- The last piece of advice that William shares is that you should not give up – it is not impossible to come to Australia and learn English!
If you are struggling with improving your IELTS score, click below to learn more about the IELTS Online Program…
IMPROVE IN ALL 4 DISCIPLINES
The IELTS Online program is made possible by IELTS Online 90-day course designed by Macquarie University of Australia. You have the option to choose between IELTS Express, IELTS Master and IELTS MasterPlus to suit your prep requirements. IELTS Express is best for someone who wants quick tips and exercises to start their preparation. IELTS Master and IELTS MasterPlus is perfect for someone who needs more time to prepare (90 days!). MasterPlus includes personalised feedback! If you would like to learn more about IELTS Online please click here.
Podcast Host at English Made Simple Podcast
Milena is the host of the English Made Simple Podcast and is passionate about helping English learners break their fear of speaking English so they can confidently make conversation and be understood by other English-speakers.
Milena lives in Australia with her Chileno husband and loves anything podcasting and online coaching and is honoured to be supporting and guiding immigrants from all over the world with her products, programs and coaching services.
Click here to learn more about how you can work with Milena.